Building Rehabilitation Company Registration Scheme (“BRCRS”)
The planning and execution of building rehabilitation often involves the appointment of various service providers (e.g. Prescribed Building Professionals / Prescribed Registered Contractor / other relevant professionals) to ensure compliance with legal requirement and the provision of required services.
Based on URA’s previous experience in building rehabilitation, a quality service provider is largely conducive to a building rehabilitation project with systematic and effective planning and implementation. Unfortunately, building owners/OCs often relayed that some of the existing service providers varied greatly in terms of service quality or quality of works carried out. The source of information or reference materials available in the market are often incomprehensive, as a result building owners/OCs often encounter difficulties in identifying the appropriate service providers.
In view of the above, the Building Rehabilitation Platform (“the Platform”) has launched the Building Rehabilitation Company Registration Scheme (“BRCRS”) with the following objectives:
- To establish a one-stop platform which building owners can use to search for service providers;
- To assess service providers’ management systems for performing building rehabilitation works;
- To encourage service providers to keep improving their service; and
- To promote a standard of good practice to service providers.
BRCRS will accept application from service providers under the following categories:
- Authorized Persons; (official application)
- Registered Inspectors; (official application)
- Registered General Building Contractors; (official application)
- Registered Minor Works Contractors (Class I) (to be released); and
- Registered Fire Service Installation Contractors (Class 1 & 2) (to be released).
The Scheme rolled out in phases for the application of the five categories of the services providers above. The official application for Authorized Persons (AP) and Registered Inspectors (RI) is now open all year-round starting from 1 January 2022. For Registered General Building Contractors (RGBC), the first round of official application period is closed on 31 December 2021 and will open all year-round starting from 1 April 2022.
Service providers can visit the website of the scheme at https://brcrs.brplatform.org.hk/ for more details, and apply through the "Building Rehabilitation Company Registration Scheme" online application system.